Many people avoid routine dental checkups because they have dental anxiety. The dental anxiety may have been initiated when they were children. Perhaps the very first dental visit didn’t go well, or maybe they experienced some pain. Maybe they were or still are afraid of needles. Whatever the reasons, not getting regular dental checkups can lead to serious dental complications as well as other overall health risks.
Avoidance of dental visits can lead to:
- Crooked teeth
- Gum Disease
- Heart Disease
- Oral Cancer
- Tooth decay
Avoiding routine checkups means that you are taking risks. These risks can greatly impact your oral and overall health. Your dentist is willing and wants to help you combat your dental anxiety.
Ways to overcome dental fear
The best way to overcome dental fear is to talk to your dentist. Dentists are trained to deal with persons who suffer from dental fear. Drs. Kush and Krutav Patel and their team at the Craft Smiles Dental will work with you to determine the best ways to make you comfortable and less anxious about your dental visits. Dr. Kush or Dr. Krutav will take the time to fully explain each step in a dental procedure so you’ll know what to expect.
Here are several other ways to overcome dental fear:
- Request anti-anxiety medication before the actual procedure, either from the dentist or your medical doctor.
- Request a numbing agent – a gel or local anesthesia to help minimize the pain.
- Wear headphones during the appointment to block out sounds.
- Use a chair-side television during the procedure. Watching a favorite show may reduce your stress.
- Bring a trusted friend or family member to the procedure to help you feel more comfortable.
Schedule an appointment for a consultation
Don’t take chances with your oral or physical well-being. Let us help you to overcome your dental anxiety. We’ll make sure that your visits are accommodating and pleasant. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.