Oral cancer is a major concern in the United States. Men are at a higher risk of developing oral cancer, and the average age of diagnosis is getting younger. Studies show ties between HPV and oral cancer as early as men in their twenties. Early diagnosis is essential for effective treatment. Dentists Dr. Kush Patel and Dr. Krutav Patel recommend all patients visit our Fullerton, CA dentist office twice a year for oral cancer screenings, a part of your routine dental care at Craft Smiles.
Oral Cancer Screenings Fullerton, CA
Oral cancer screenings take less than two minutes to complete. Drs. Patel and Patel will survey the gums, lips and cheeks to check for any indicators of oral cancer. Knowing your risk factors can help encourage patients to visit our Fullerton dentist office for an oral health exam.
Facts on Oral Cancer Risk Factors
- Age May Matter: oral cancer has been shown to increase in patients after the age of 44. New studies are showing oral cancer in patients in their twenties, especially men. Adult dentist visits are important in maintaining your oral and overall health.
- Tobacco In Any Form Increases Your Risk: Whether your smoke, vape, or chew, tobacco use may drastically increase your risk of developing oral cancer. Tobacco use also increases your risk of gum disease, tooth decay, and cardiovascular disease.
- Know Your Exposure to HPV: If you have been exposed to HPV, or have been diagnosed with HPV you are at a higher risk of developing oral cancer. Be sure to let your Craft Smiles dentist know if you have HPV.
If you fall into one of these groups, our Craft Smiles dentists may also recommend that you perform at home oral exams every few months. Always pay close attention to the condition of the soft tissues in your mouth as well as your teeth. If you notice any of the below symptoms that persists for up to two weeks, be sure to call our Fullerton dentist office to schedule an oral exam.
Signs of Oral Cancer
- Numbness in tongue
- Change in the fit of your bite or dental restoration
- Difficulty with swallowing or feeling of something stuck in your throat
- Red or white patches
- Small sores, or thickening of soft tissue
- Tenderness or pain in lips or gums
Dr. Kush Patel and Dr. Krutav Patel provide their patients with advanced dental technology and compassionate and quality dental care. State-of-the-art dental technology helps our Craft Smiles dental care team diagnose advanced dental concerns early so they can provide conservative and effective treatment.