SIGNS & SYMPTOMS OF GUM DISEASE
- Red, swollen and/or tender gums
- Bleeding gums
- Shifting of teeth or loose teeth
- Receding gums
- Persistent bad breath
- Changes in the fit of dentures
STAGES OF GUM DISEASE
Gingivitis: early stage gum disease, gingivitis is typically easy to treat but may require additional at home care to prevent it from returning. Patients with recurring gingivitis may benefit from more frequent dental cleanings in our dentist office.
Periodontitis: advanced gum disease, periodontitis can cause permanent damage to gum tissue and weaken the teeth. This often requires intensive treatment to address damage and restore oral health.
Recent scientific studies have consistently shown the relationship between periodontal disease and an increased risk for developing or being more severely affected by cardiovascular and systemic diseases. When caught early, conservative treatment can be effective and quickly restore oral health.
TREATING GUM DISEASE
A periodontal screening is part of our routine examinations. If you are showing signs of gum disease, Dr. Kush or Dr. Krutav Patel will recommend appropriate periodontal treatment tailored to your individual oral health needs.
Periodontal therapy is often dependent on the stage of gum disease and can be as simple as a thorough dental cleaning to remove plaque and tartar. More intensive treatment can include:
- Scaling and root planing: this intensive cleaning removes built up plaque from the gum line, tooth roots and deep pockets of the gums.
- Antibacterial rinses: when appropriate, we may prescribe an anti bacterial rinse to be used between visits and reduce the level of bacteria present in the mouth, especially for patients with persistent gingivitis.
- Laser dentistry: Drs. Patel and Patel use dental lasers to treat gum disease, often avoiding the need for oral surgery. Laser dentistry can remove diseased tissue and stimulate the body’s natural healing response to restore health.
- Gum surgery: when necessary in cases of very advanced gum disease or periodontitis, we may refer you to a local periodontist for treatment.
Soft Tissue Laser Treatment
Modern dental technology offers effective treatment for a variety of dental concerns that is faster, more accurate and less painful.
Drs. Patel and Patel have incorporated some of the latest dental technology into their Fullerton dentist office to improve the patient experience and provide better results. Soft tissue lasers can effectively treat the various effects of gum disease, reducing the need for more invasive treatments or oral surgery.
Laser dentistry can be used to remove diseased tissue and promote normal healing. Healthy gums can be restored more efficiently, with less bleeding. It can also be used to address a “gummy smile” and contour the gums, enhancing the appearance of your smile.